HISTORY MEETS YOUR STORY

At FLATS170, a colorful past meets a promising future. Take a quick look at the rich history of the site that inspires the growth of our community.

2013
FLATS170 is completed offering high-end living to Odenton.
2012
Construction started on FLATS170.
1990
International Paper acquired the plant. The Fountainhead Division, on the current site of FLATS170, was sold by International Paper in 1999 to Formica Corporation. Formica sold the property in 2008 to the developer of Academy Yard. The balance of the plant was sold in 2002 to Kohlberg & Co., a merchant bank. Kohlberg ultimately moved the remaining plant and operations to South Carolina. In 2006, Kohlberg sold what remained of the company to a competitor and sold the abandoned Odenton property to the developer of Academy Yard.
1961
The plant was acquired by a joint venture of textile producer JP Stevens and a division of what would become Exxon Corporation. The plant was later sold off in the 1970's to private investors (doing business as Nevamar Corporation) and other manufacturing companies (Vectra and Amtech). Nevamar Corporation acquired back the Vectra facilities in 1983.
1948
Two 38-by-6½-foot mural paintings, depicting scenes of the Industrial Revolution, were commissioned by the Winer family for display in their company’s rotunda entrance. The Lithuanian artist Nathan Imenitoff was brought from Paris to Odenton to create the murals on site.
1943
The art deco-style Nevamar factory was built by the Winer family as they relocated their cabinetmaking business from Baltimore to Odenton. Originally known as The National Plastic Products Company, the "plastics plant" was built using the former WB&A rail car maintenance shops, which the company acquired after the railroad’s bankruptcy in 1935. The company employed thousands of local residents in making paintbrush bristles, Barbie doll hair, textiles and even hula hoops, and was an innovator of high-pressure, plastic-based laminating technology.
1908
The Washington, Baltimore & Annapolis Electric Railway (WB&A) starts service as an electrified, high-speed, interurban railroad that operates for 27 years. The WB&A includes the Naval Academy Junction station which is an essential transfer point for passengers traveling between Washington, Annapolis and Baltimore. This station and the adjacent rail car maintenance shops for the entire WB&A system are on or near the current FLATS170 site. The WB&A also owned the land that is now Fort George G. Meade, which it sold to the U.S. Army for a temporary training camp for soldiers, known as Camp Meade. It became a permanent establishment in 1928 and today is a major economic driver for the region.